Football player, violinist to give commencement valediction

By Michael Sugerman

Valedictorian Richard Chung ’12 concluded his speech at Commencement on June 8 by urging students to ”make their mark,” a motto that Head of School Jeanne Huybrechts announced at the start of the year. He encouraged his fellow classmates to never rest on their laurels and not be complacent with the world around them after their graduation.

Chung also recognized Hallie Brookman ’12 who received her diploma today after a extended illness that kept her out of school and Ishan Bose-Pyne ’12, who died at the start of his junior year.  

President Tom Hudnut presented the Veritas Award to Head Prefect Brooke Levin ’12, dubbing her ”the best of the best.” Wesley Friedman ’12 was awarded the Bishop’s Medal as an accomplished scholar and participant in all aspects of campus life. The Veritas Award and Bishop’s Medal are awarded to the most distinguished members of the senior class of each gender.

Earlier in the day, Salutatorian and Senior Prefect Hank Doughan ’12 launched ceremonies by praising the close-knit and diverse senior class.

Huybrechts read the graduates’ names and Hudnut handed them their diplomas. Lucas Giolito ’12 and Max Fried ’12, who were picked in the Major League Baseball draft earlier in the week, handed Hudnut Washington Nationals and San Diego Padres baseball caps, respectively, in exchange for their diplomas.

At the end of the ceremony, the new graduates let out a triumphant roar and threw their caps in the air as Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out” blazed from speakers scattered across Ted Slavin Field.

For a photo gallery of commencement, click here.