Soccer star Alyssa Thompson wins Gatorade Player of the Year

Alyssa+Thompson+23+smiles+as+she+receives+an+accolade.+

Sophia Haynes

Alyssa Thompson ’23 smiles as she receives an accolade.

James Hess

Varsity girls soccer player Alyssa Thompson ’23 was named Girls Soccer Gatorade Player of the Year on June 17. She is only the eighth sophomore to ever receive the honor and the third athlete in school history behind Jill Oakes ’02 (Soccer) and Amy Weissenbach ’12 (Track and field). 

Considered the most prestigious award in high school sports, Gatorade honors players for their “athletic excellence, academic achievement and exemplary character,” according to its website. Thompson said she is humbled and thankful to the people who helped her to this point.

“There were so many amazing players that could have gotten [the award] and it’s crazy to me that I was nominated,” Thompson said. “This does not only show my work but also what the people around me have done to get me here.” 

Thompson scored 48 goals with 14 assists while leading the girls soccer team to a 19-0 record and CIF Regional Socal Division I Championship. She also plays for the U.S. Soccer Under-18 Women’s National Team and runs varsity track and field for the school. In a press release from Gatorade, Head Girls Soccer Coach of Newport Harbor High School Justin Schroeder said Thompson’s perception and polish separate her from other talented athletes. 

“[Thompson] is on a different level than her other high school counterparts,” Schroeder said. “Her game is refined in a way you’d think she’d be in her mid-20s with her ability to recognize what’s happening on the field. I am looking forward to seeing her in a World Cup final one day.”

Sasha Vogel ’21 said Thompson’s character and skill make everyone around her better. 

“Alyssa’s influence on the team, both on and off the field, has been nothing but positive. We are so lucky to have her,” Vogel said. “Playing soccer with her is like having a real-life superhero on your team.”