Girls volleyball dominates Bishop Alemany

Charlie Seymour

Girls volleyball won 3-0 in its series against the Bishop Alemany High School Warriors Sept. 14, furthering its overall record to 7-4 and Mission League record to 2-1. The team is currently in third place in Mission League, behind Marymount High School and Marlborough School, respectively. Outside hitter Ava-Marie Lange ’23 said despite early hurdles, the team continues to improve with each new opponent. 

“Our team started off very strong,” Lange said. “Then we hit some bumps, mainly injuries, but we worked really hard to be able to work around them.”

The squad won all three of its games in its series against Bishop Alemany, beating the Warriors 25-19, 18-25 and 17-25 in each respective match. Outside hitter Sophia Lindus ’22 said the players’ abilities to acclimate to new challenges has helped the team push forward with more consistency as it enters the second half of its season.

“We had a couple injuries early in our season, and we had to adapt to a changing line-up,” Lindus said. “Of course, we are still working on connecting more and more, but our team chemistry has improved immensely over a short span of time. This has allowed us to trust our teammates, hold each other accountable, and have fun — the three pillars of our culture.”

After losing to Marymount 3-0, the team won its next two games against Bishop Montgomery High School and Notre Dame Academy 3-1 and 3-0, respectively. Lange said the team had to change certain aspects of its play to bounce back after the loss. 

“After the Marymount game, [the team] really took a step back from the loss and looked at what [it] should improve,” Lange said. “We have worked on so many things that cost us in the Marymount game, like hitting around the block. [The loss] was something [the team] needed because we came out stronger.”

With the squad’s strong first half of its league season, Lindus said the team has high hopes for its playoff run. 

“Our goal is to win a championship,” Lindus said. “We all definitely want to defeat Marymount when we play them again, and finish the season with a CIF ring.”

The squad plays Centennial High School in its first match of the Durango Classic Tournament Sept. 17, with its next league game against Marlborough on Sept. 21.