Practice continues after Big Bear retreat to prepare for Friday’s opener

After returning from a team retreat to Big Bear, the cross country team has continued training to be ready for their season opener Friday.

“The overall experience of Big Bear is great,” Jeffrey Ehlers ’16 said. “We bond more than we bond at any other point in the season.”

The team arrived at Cedar Lake Camp in Big Bear on Aug. 19 and stayed for six days with two daily workouts in the early mornings and late afternoons.

The retreat also included activities such as a trip to Big Bear Village and a talent show.

Ben Weissenbach ’15, the squad’s number one runner two years ago as a sophomore, suffered a growth related injury in his knee and a calf injury from training in the sand that sidelined him for all of the 2013-2014 season.

“I’m not at full strength yet,” Weissenbach said. “I am only running 20 miles a week, but I am slowly building up.”

It is unclear whether Weissenbach will be ready for preliminary competition, but he says he will competing in the biggest meets and at full strength by the end of the season.

Nick Sweeney ’17 transferred from Campbell Hall into tenth grade, and he will most likely run in the five or six slot.

Also, rising freshman Austin McNab ’18, who ran a 4:52 minute mile with minimal training in eighth grade, could improve with the training the team goes through each season and really help the team as a result, Ehlers said.

The squad’s schedule includes meets throughout September and October. They will be competing in two Mission League Clusters and five other invitationals before Mission League finals Nov. 5.

After Mission League finals, the team aims to compete in CIF prelims Nov. 15 to qualify for CIF finals at Woodward Park Nov. 22 and potentially California State Championships Nov. 29.