Boys’ soccer drops playoff match

Coming off of an 11-8-4 season, the boys’ soccer team suffered a first-round playoff defeat to Redondo Union on Thursday.  The loss eliminates the Wolverines from postseason play.

“We started poorly,” head coach Kris Ward said.  “We were maybe overcome by the situation and went down 1-0 in the first 10 minutes.  After that, we blew the doors off them for the remainder of the first half.”

Asher Vogel ’19 scored the Wolverines’ only goal of the game in the first half.  Despite strong offensive pressure, the team was unable to score in the second half, and eventually allowed a last-second goal from the Sea Hawks.

“We played so well,” Ward said. “But there was a free kick with under a minute, the other team bombed it in the box, they blocked two clearances by us and scored the rebound and that was that.  Heartbreaking because they didn’t earn it.”

The loss ends a winning first season for Ward, who took over as the program head last offseason.  Despite a young roster, the Wolverines were able to improve on their prior season, culminating in the playoff berth.

“We played the game tonight with one senior and three juniors, so the future is extremely bright,” Ward said.  “Most teams we played were very heavy with upperclassmen, so I have large expectations for the group next year and in the years following.”

\