Justin Carr benefit concert raises funds for charity, outreach programs

A number of students performed at the “Justin Wants World Peace Concert” at All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Beverly Hills Monday. Darrell and Susan Carr (Justin ’14) hosted the event in partnership with the foundation ArtsAhimsa to raise money for the Justin Carr Wants World Peace Foundation. Many students, parents and faculty also attended.

“It’s going to be a beautiful celebration of love, happiness, peace and everything that Justin would have wanted,” Rachel Savage ’15 said in an e-mail before the event.

Before the performances, the attendees gathered in a reception and silent auction of Justin’s artwork.

Among the student performers were Molly Chapman ’14, Aiyana White ’14, Andrea Torre ’14 and Tara Joshi ’14, who performed the song “Butterfly” by Mariah Carey.

Chapman also sang an original piece remembering her friendship with Justin, titled “Butterfly.”

Other performers included Nina Juarez ’16 and Claire Nordstrom ’15.

Celebrities including Joe Torre (Andrea ’14), Michael Chiklis (Autumn ’12, Odessa ’17) and Mandy Patinkin made appearances at the event.

Actor William Allen Young read a poem written by Justin as an English assignment in 2013, in which Justin reacted to Langston Hughes’ work by writing about his own opportunities and expressing his gratitude for life.

ArtsAhimsa is dedicated to non-violence through classical music. Founder Laura Goldberg performed and spoke at the concert.

“I think [The Justin Carr Wants World Peace Foundation] is inspiring,” Goldberg said.

Click here to see a video of highlights from the event.