Boys’ tennis undefeated at League Prelims

Doubles player Avi Carson ’22 returns a serve in a match against St. Francis High School on Feb. 27. Photo credit: Lucas Lee/Chronicle.

Boys’ Tennis finished undefeated today in League Prelim games, bringing them one step closer to a Mission League Championship.

As the team faced off in single elimination matches, there was no room for error, Pat Otero ’21 said.  Despite the pressure, the moral of the team was relaxed and focused on winning, Otero said.

“Everyone brought their best out today because it’s such a special opportunity for each one of us to represent [Harvard-Westlake],” Otero said.

Today, 4-star recruit and top-100 recruit according to the Tennis Recruiting Network, Ian Freer ’19 (St. Francis High School), was the team’s toughest competition.

Since the loss to University High School in the first match of the season Feb. 19, the team is currently on a 17 game win streak.  The squad will compete in the Mission League Finals on Wednesday for a chance to win a nineteenth consecutive league title.

“Our goal is to keep the league win streak to break the national record.” Amaan Irfan ’21 said.