Girls’ Water Polo advances to CIF-SS Division II Finals

Attacker Meera Burghardt ’20 looks to shoot the ball against Redondo Union High School on Jan. 18. Credit: Kyle Reims/Chronicle

The Game

The Harvard Westlake girls’ water polo team advanced to the CIF Southern Section Division II Championship game after defeating Mira Costa High School 10-8 on Feb. 19. The game, which was played at the Woollett Aquatics Center in Irvine, will also send the Wolverines back to its second CIF Championship game in the last three seasons. 

The Wolverines dominated the first half of the game, holding a 6-1 lead over Mira Costa going into halftime. The Mustangs used a four-goal third quarter and three in the fourth quarter to cut the lead to two goals, but were never able to get closer than that. Six Wolverines were responsible for the team’s ten goals. Meera Burghardt ’20, Namlhun Jachung ’20, Adeline Jackson ’21 and Juliette O’Brien ’21 all had two apiece, while Abigail Wiesenthal ’20 and Caitlin Munoz ’22 added a goal each. 

O’Brien says that it’s a great feeling to already be in the finals in the team’s second year in CIF-SS Open Division.

“It’s super cool being in the finals”, O’Brien said. “We only entered the division last year and to be here already is just a really cool feeling.”

Up Next

The championship game will be held at Woollett Aquatics Center on Saturday at 12:10 pm and the Wolverines will face San Clemente High School.