Girls’ Volleyball falls in second round of CIF Playoffs

The Girls’ Volleyball team lost 3-2 to the Huntington Beach Oilers in the second round of CIF playoffs Tuesday.

The Wolverines gave the number four ranked Oilers a run for their money despite being underdogs going into the match, taking them to five sets which scored 19-25, 25-21, 20-25, 25-17 and finally 13-15.

Despite losing in a heartbreaking fashion, the Wolverines showed enough poise to put the loss into perspective after the game.

“Everyone was in good spirits,” Head Coach Adam Black said. “There was obviously sadness because whenever you lose, it sucks, and it’s especially painful when you lose in game five of the playoffs.”

Serving played a huge part throughout the match, as the Wolverines went on long runs during the second and fourth sets to win, but also misfired on four service attempts in the fifth and final set, which potentially cost them the game.

“The serving wasn’t an issue for me. We won games two and four with our serves, so if anything it was a weapon for us,” Black said. “We might have missed a few down the stretch but that’s the way the game goes.”

Despite it’s disappointing finish, this season was a definitive success for the Wolverines, who failed to make the playoffs at all last year in a deeper and more skilled Mission League.

“I think this game showcased exactly what we’ve been working for all year,” Captain Josie Treadwell ’16 said. “I’m just so proud about how we finished, because that game was 100 percent effort.”