Wolverines fall short in battle of league leaders


Quarterback Jameson Wang ’20 throws the ball downfield during first quarter of their game against St. Paul last night.

Keila McCabe

The Wolverines lost to St. Paul today 20-16 after a game delay due to thunderstorms Friday night. Their overall record is now 5-4 and their league record is 2-1. The St. Paul Swordsmen remain undefeated in the Del Rey League making their overall record 7-1.

They resumed play from last night’s game starting this afternoon in the second quarter with a Swordsmen’s lead of 13-0.

To end the second quarter, quarterback Jameson Wang ’20 threw a 23 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Chase Harleston ’21. The extra point was converted by kicker Liam Weetman ’21, ending the half six points down.

With five minutes remaining in the third quarter, the Wolverines took the lead 14-13. Wang threw a one yard touchdown pass to Harleston for his second touchdown of the contest. The extra point was successful for Weetman.

“It felt great to be able to provide a spark for my team and really get our sideline fired up with two touchdowns keeping the game close until the very end,” Harleston said.

After last night’s quarter, St. Paul adjusted their defense by filling the box heavily to prevent runs by running back Sultan Daniels ’19. The Wolverines modified their defense to St. Paul’s offense as well and responded to their defense with a balanced passing attack. In addition to Harleston, Wang often passed to wide receivers Jason Thompson ’21 and Charlie Fuller ’20.

“Jameson and I were able to connect on a few occasions in the second half,” Fuller said. “Since St. Paul is a very run heavy offensive force, we had to make adjustments to our defense so we could contain and limit their run game. We didn’t get too much passing action from them, but when we did we played it pretty well overall.”

Quickly into the fourth quarter, St. Paul broke loose for a long touchdown, regaining the lead at 20-14. Fuller talked about the last touchdown as a defining moment in the game. 

“The momentum and energy we’d been playing with seemed to shift during that moment,” Fuller said. “However, we definitely weren’t any less determined to put forth our best effort to secure a win that day. At the end of the day though, it just wasn’t enough.”

With less than a minute remaining, the Swordsmen snapped the ball over their punter’s head and through their end zone resulting in a safety. In the final stretch of the game the Wolverines moved toward to the goal line but were unable to convert on their last opportunity to take the lead.

The Wolverines’ final league game is on Oct. 26 at La Salle High School with kickoff scheduled for 7:00 p.m.