Boys’ soccer blows late second half lead in tie with St. Francis

Midfielder Charles Vogel tries to break past his defender in the 1-1 tie with St. Francis today. Photo Credit: Keila McCabe.

Boys’ Soccer tied with St. Francis High School 1-1 today after losing to Loyola High School 4-1 Friday, moving to 8-4-4 overall and 5-1-2 in the Mission League.

The Wolverines were without standout senior midfielder Alec Katz ’19 and standout defender Pablo Greenlee ’20 today for the second game in a row.

“It’s been very difficult [to play without Katz and Greenlee],” forward Langston Holly ’20 said. “Without [Katz], our team misses creativity in the midfield and [Greenlee] was arguably our best player, so his injury obviously hurts the team.”

Before the game today, players said that they hoped to bring more energy in the first half after giving up three goals to Loyola in the first half of the 4-1 loss Friday.

Holly scored the Wolverine’s only goal on a penalty kick late in the second half after a scoreless first half, but the Golden Knights answered back, scoring soon after.

“After we scored, we should have got all 11 players behind the ball and back on defense,” forward Henry Sanderson ’20 said. “We kept attacking and we shouldn’t have, but also we didn’t have our strongest players today and we were trying to play out of the back of the field when we really should have been moving the ball more and out of the back.”

The Wolverines will play Crespi High School on Wednesday and Chaminade High School on Jan. 25 after already beating both teams in the first matchup this season. The squad beat Crespi 2-0 Dec. 5 and Chaminade 1-0 Jan. 2.

“We want to win out so we are holding ourselves accountable and are going to start staying after practice to train or watch film and go to the trainers,” Sanderson said.