Team struggles to overcome injuries

SURF-BOARDMAN: Paul Boardman ’21 grapples with an opponent from Crespi Carmelite High School. Boardman advanced to the CIF Southern Section Championships in individuals this year. Photo Credit: Zack Schwartz/Chronicle

After a season plagued by injuries, including wrestlers  Kanoa Young ’21, team captain Kevin Chen ’19 and Chronicle Layout Assistant and Staff Writer Lucas Lee ’21, the wrestling team was able to maintain a positive mindset as they look forward to next year.

“Some days practices weren’t that tough, but other days  were mentally and physically tough,” team member Lupe Lucero ’20 said. “Time management was a major challenge for me because I had to completely adjust my lifestyle in order to find a balance between my school work and wrestling.”

Tthe wrestling team didn’t  win any games against other schools this year .  Most recently suffering a 36-24 loss to Crespi Carmelite High School and an 84-0 defeat at the hands of Bishop Amat High School.

Paul Boardman ’21, who reached the CIF Southern Section Finals, said the defeat at Bishop Amat was a turning point for the team. 

“The next day, in the wrestling room, the atmosphere had changed,” Boardman said. “Everyone was pushing harder, and we all trusted each other to get the job done and improve. I’m very excited for next year’s wrestling season and seeing Bishop Amat again.”

While the team struggled in matches together, they found success in individuals matches. 

“The best part of the season was being able to pin someone on the mat,” Justin Baiden ’22 said, “It felt really good.”

Boardman remains optimistic for his future in the program, despite his loss at CIF. 

“After seeing the competition at CIF, talking through some issues with others instead of bottling them up and getting a chance to rest and focus on the bigger picture, I feel more ready [for next year] than ever,” Boardman said.

The team will only lose one senior, Chen, so its core will remain intact for next year. The returning members  said they were left wanting more after feeling unsatisfied with this year’s results. 

“Next year, I look forward to more competition,” Baiden said. “I want to work harderas I feel as if I could have done better.”

Lucero was unable to complete his junior season due to illness. 

“I hope to wrestle in league finals and maybe go to CIF, since  this year, I didn’t go.” Lucero said. 

Boardman said the obstacles the team overcame will help prepare the team for next year.

“This season was a perfect blend of success, experience and failure, allowing me and my teammates to be ready for bigger and better things,” Boardman said.