Boys’ basketball defeats Workman 72-31

Wolfgang Novogratz ’16 shoots a free throw during the third quarter of the game. Credit: Bennett Gross ’16/Chronicle

Harvard-Westlake defeated Workman High School 72-31 on the road in the second round of the CIF-SS 4AA playoffs and advanced to the quarterfinals, where they will play at Laguna Beach on Tues. at 7 p.m.

Both squads started the game on a scoring flurry, with the Wolverines led by Ali Iken ’17 and Wolfgang Novogratz ’16, who had seven and six first quarter points respectively. At the end of the first period play, the Wolverines led the Lobos 16-13.

Throughout the first half, play was incredibly physical and few fouls were called. Coaches on both sides complained as players were consistently thrown to the floor and bumped on almost every single possession.

Despite the questionable refereeing the Wolverines held a 31-25 lead over the pesky Lobos at the half.

During the third quarter, the Wolverines came out on fire and quieted the raucous home crowd, going on a 20-2 run. At the end of three quarters, the Wolverines extended their lead to an insurmountable point, with the score 51-27.

Harvard-Westlake continued playing a tight press during the fourth quarter, in which all 18 Wolverines saw playing time.

With three minutes remaining in the game and the Wolverines leading 66-29, Nathan Yeh ’16 pump faked Workman’s Alan Matron ’16 who fell over the ducking Yeh and landed on his elbow.

After staying down on the ground for an extended period of time, he was helped off and taken to the hospital escorted by a fire truck and ambulance.

After all was said and done, the Wolverines defeated the Lobos 72-31. Harvard-Westlake dominated the second half, in which they led 41-6.

Iken, Novogratz and Cater Begel ’17 each scored 13 points and Cassius Stanley ’19 scored 12 points.