Basketball players announce intent to transfer

Cassius Stanley ’19 dribbles up the court in a home contest. Credit: Aaron Park/Chronicle

Basketball players Cassius Stanley ’19, L Simpson ’19 and Terren Frank ’20 appeared to announce their intent to attend Sierra Canyon School next year via posts uploaded to social media Wednesday night.

A video uploaded to Stanley’s Instagram and Twitter accounts depicts him passing a basketball to himself and dunking in Hamilton Gym. As Stanley leaves the ground, a graphic reading “SC” appears on the backboard.  The post is location-tagged at “Sierra Canyon School.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVD5SxxjmWt/?taken-by=thekingcassius&hl=en

Simpson’s Instagram post depicts himself and Stanley with the caption “Gotta Blast ??? @thekingcassius.” The picture also tags Frank and is also marked at “Sierra Canyon School”.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVD68L_Bko5/?hl=en&taken-by=lboogie824

“It was a little bit of a shock,” guard Simon Pompan ’18 said. “We knew a couple of the players were departing, but not all of them.”

Stanley and Simpson were part of current Basketball Program Head Dave Rebibo’s first freshman class. In 2016, they were part of a team that won the Division IV State Championship at Sleep Train Arena in Oakland.

The squad posted a 23-12 record last season en route to a CIF-SS D1A championship.  Stanley missed a game earlier this season after asking for a day off.

Stanley and Frank both played significant minutes last season, while Simpson was expected to compete for a starting role after missing most of the year with an injury. Stanley, currently ranked ninth on the 2019 ESPN 25, averaged 17.9 points per game during the 2016-17 season.

“Kids are just going to have to step up,” Pompan said. “We also lost six seniors, four of which played minutes in every single game, so that’s seven players who took up a lot of our minutes leaving.  So a lot of kids are going to have to step up.”

Stanley previously attended Sierra Canyon during middle school.